What We Do
Learn more about our à la carte service options, including our Airfare Deposit Program available for study abroad students on financial aid. Let us customize travel solutions for your programs.
Call us: 800.363.2580
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
|1. What does the airline consider a “group”?|
2. How soon should I start looking for flights?
3. How do I request a group quote from STA Travel?
4. Will I be able to review or even change my request before confirming?
5. Why do I receive a contract?
6. Will I pay a deposit when I return the group contract?
7. What are my options for providing passenger details?
8. What is your process for payment?
9. When do we get tickets and other travel documents?
10. What if I have additional questions or even an emergency?
11. What are the benefits of booking a group rate?
12. What is an alternative to group space?
13. Does STA Travel price match?
14. What if I am unsure of how many seats I need to hold?
15. What is commitment deadline?
16. Why do you require deposits?
17. Do you coordinate more than group airfare?
18. Glossary of common terms.
1. What does the airline consider a “group”?
Most airlines consider a group to be at least 10 or more passengers traveling together.
|2. How soon should I start looking for flights?|
Most airlines have their schedules posted 330 day in the future and we would be more than happy to check rates if schedules are available at that time. We recommend inquiring at least 9 months in advance of your travel dates, as this is when you will typically find the best rates. Waiting too close to departure can result in the possibility of limited availability and a higher fare.
|3. How do I request a group quote from STA Travel? |
Complete the online Group Request Form, call 800.0363.2580 or email email@example.com. Be prepared to provide your travel dates, number of seats, departure and arrival cities for any flights. Do you have a specific budget, flexible dates/times or any other specific requirements? Let us know. Your group will be assigned to a dedicated Groups Logistics Specialist (GLS) who will contact you within 24 hours.
|4. Will I be able to review or even change my request before confirming?|
Your GLS will use STA Travels exclusive fares or negotiate directly with airlines and other operators for the best itinerary for your group. They will then send you a quote of the estimated total trip price and itinerary. After review by you, the group coordinator, the quote can be accepted. If any changes or new considerations need to be addressed the group can be re-quoted. Once the quote is accepted, STA Travel will confirm the trip and send the group coordinator a contract outlining important rules and deadlines.
Complex trips or itineraries with significant ‘on the ground’ details may take longer to quote.
|5. Why do I receive a contract?|
After your quote has been confirmed, your GLS will send you a contract for your trip, which will include the guaranteed base fare, unless otherwise stated. Read and review all due dates for your group: Deposit, commitment deadline, passenger details, and final payment dates. Missed deadlines can result in penalties or loss of group space. Air and Land components of a trip may have separate due dates and rules. Be sure to thoroughly read through the contract and ask your STA Travel GLS if you have questions.
|6. Will I pay a deposit when I return the group contract?|
Initialed and signed contracts are due back to STA Travel within 7-10 business days from the date of confirmation. Space will be cancelled if a signed contract is not received by the due date listed. If applicable, your contract will include information regarding a required deposit. Ask us about ways to have your deposit waived.
|7. What are my options for providing passenger details?|
a. As a Group
- Booking will be handled with group coordinator from beginning to end. The group coordinator will be responsible for providing the passenger details and any payments per the contract.
b. As Individuals traveling together
- The group coordinator will confirm the trip but passengers will book, confirming individual details and making payment, directly through STA Travel’s International Programs department. The group coordinator is still responsible for rules of the contract.
|8. What is your process for payment?|
We accept most major credit cards for payment. We also accept university or organization checks (no personal checks) via our credit and invoicing process. This process requires your organization to have a line of credit with us, which can be applied to any of your balances. The line of credit protects you against tax increases while we wait for a check to arrive, or if the check gets lost in the mail. Many clients like having a line of credit, because they can have their deposits waived. They also have 30 days after the invoice date to pay off the final balance. We understand that sometimes it takes time to issue a check, and this gives a nice cushion to do that.
If interested in a line of credit, a credit application must be filled out and submitted at least 3-5 business days prior to your payment deadlines to allow for adequate processing time.
|9. When do we get tickets and other travel documents?|
Confirmations will be sent out once the entire group is booked. Tickets and other travel documents are sent out at least two weeks prior to departure.
|10. What if I have additional questions or even an emergency?|
Your designated STA Travel Groups Logistics Specialist is here to help you and your group. Do not hesitate to call or email your questions or requests at any time. STA Travel also provides 24/7 emergency Travel Help, should you need it.
|11. What are the benefits of booking a group rate?|
Group rates lock in the same fare and itinerary for every passenger. When booking individually, fares can vary from passenger to passenger, and fluctuate frequently. Utilizing group space evens out the fares for everyone in the group and avoids price hikes.
We can usually hold group space up to three to fours months in advance with no financial obligation. We do require a deposit, unless you have a line of credit with us, in which case the deposit is waived.
If you would like the students to contact us individually to book and pay for their travel, an STA Travel Groups Logistics Specialist will coordinate that through our International Programs department. Your involvement would be minimal, as you would not be required to coordinate names or payments. We do ask that you determine the trip details, but everything else would be handled between the students and our International Programs agents.
|12. What is an alternative to group space?|
If you will not have a confirmed number of passengers by the commitment deadline, you may choose to do a suggested itinerary. A suggested itinerary can be as specific as exact flights, or as general as departure and arrival parameters. Once the flights or parameters are chosen, the program participants will call STA Travel’s International Programs department and pay for the flights individually. Suggested itineraries are subject to availability and pricing cannot be guaranteed. There is the risk that flights may not be available when the passenger decides to book, but generally it works well for many of our groups.
|13. Does STA Travel price match?|
We pride ourselves in accommodating your needs and openly welcome you to let us know your budget and other quotes you have received from competitors. We will be more than happy to try and fulfill your request as we understand the importance of pricing. However, please keep in mind that shopping can actually have adverse effects on pricing. Other agencies are known to hold space with the airline during the quoting process. In this case, STA Travel will no longer have access to that airline’s fares and our low contracted rates, so we recommend that you approach STA Travel first for your travel needs.
|14. What if I am unsure of how many seats I need to hold?|
We recommend holding the maximum amount of seats you think you might need as long as you are not within the commitment deadline. It is easier to drop seats, than to add them at a later date.
|15. What is commitment deadline?|
After a certain date the airline requires the group to commit to the number of seats being held, otherwise they will penalize you for seats you do not use. The commitment deadline varies depending on airline, and can be anywhere between 30 - 90 days prior to departure.
16. Why do you require deposits?
|17. Do you coordinate more than group airfare?|
Yes! We are a full service travel agency and have access to tons of great group discounts from hotels to customized tours. Just let your travel advisor know what you are looking for!
|18. GLOSSARY OF COMMON TERMS|
• Account Manager (AM): STA Travel provides you with a dedicated Account Manager who oversees and supports all of your business with STA Travel. Your Account Manager can assist with a wide range of support, products and services available to you, your participants or your School/Program.
• Applicable Taxes: Taxes and fuel surcharges are never guaranteed. The taxes that are in effect the day tickets are issued will apply and will be used for billing purposes.
• Baggage: Baggage fees are based on carrier and are subject to change. The most up to date baggage policies and pricing can be obtained by visiting the airline’s website. STA Travel cannot be held responsible for the baggage policies applicable to your group. If you will be traveling with large, oversized or excessive luggage (sports teams, orchestras, etc.), please notify your STA Travel agent so that we may notify the airline as a courtesy.
• Business Development Manager (BDM): STA Travel has regionally based Business Development Managers. Our BDM’s are always available to discuss any travel services you may need. Being based locally within each region our BDM’s are also available for fairs, panels, conferences or anything else related to Student and Youth travel.
• Code Share: A flight that is coded as one carrier, but operated on another carrier’s aircraft. An example would be Lufthansa flight 9395 from Phoenix to Chicago, which is actually operated by a United plane.
• Commitment Deadline: The deadline the airline requires financial commitment to the group space being held. At that time, the number of seats must be confirmed with your Groups Logistics Specialist. Failure to meet these requirements will result in loss of deposit and/or penalties.
• Date Change: A change after final payment on either the outbound or return flight depending on the carrier.
• Deposit: A per seat monetary commitment for group space. Deposits can range upwards of $200 and are typically required two weeks after the time the group space is confirmed with the airline.
• Deviation: A change prior to final payment on either the outbound or return flight depending on the carrier.
• E-Ticket: A ticket that has been issued electronically. Passengers will receive a printable confirmation from STA Travel with travel details, but no tangible ticket(s). The only other physical travel documents that passenger will receive is a boarding pass upon check-in with the carrier.
• Group: According to airline standards, a group consists of 10 or more individuals traveling together.
• Group Coordinator: Each group will need to designate a group coordinator. It is the group coordinators responsibility to do the following:
o Coordinate, finalize and make all decisions regarding the specifics of the trip.
o Distribute to all participants the “How to Book” provided by STA Travel and ensuring group members meet all deadlines. STA Travel will help coordinate these deadlines and provide the group coordinator all necessary documentation in order to meet the required deadlines.
o If the group coordinator will be unavailable for any period of time during the booking process, we ask that you have a secondary group coordinator for the period of your absence. Please advise your STA Travel Groups Logistics Specialist at least 24 hours in advance.
• Group Fare: The fare an airline provides for a group. These fares are contracted by the airline for the entire group.
• Groups Logistics Specialist (GLS): The travel agent responsible for coordinating the details of a program’s trip with the group coordinator.
• Guaranteed Base Fare: Group airfares are always guaranteed unless otherwise stated in your contract. This does not include taxes or fuel surcharges, which are subject to change until paid in full.
• Important Rules and Deadlines: Any rules or deadlines set by STA Travel are the responsibility of the client to fulfill. STA Travel will aid clients by helping them understand rules and meet their deadlines, but cannot be held responsible for accrued penalties or loss of space due to any missed deadlines. All rules and deadlines are outlined in our contracts for any of the group services that are provided.
• International Programs Teams (IP): STA Travel’s team of dedicated agents who strictly handle incoming requests for programs wishing to have the participants book individually. The International Programs agent’s familiarity with our various programs makes for a seamless and streamlined booking process.
• Invoicing/Credit: STA Travel accepts university or organization checks pending approval for a line of credit with STA Travel. A credit application and credit check is required before a line of credit is established. With a line of credit, deposits can be waived and payment is not required until 30 days from the time credit is applied to any outstanding balances on the account.
• ISIC/ITIC/IYTC: The International Student/Teacher/Youth Identification Card is the only globally recognized student ID card. The card is required for travel on any of our private fares and offers various discounts around the world. The card also comes with Master Card capabilities. Visit www.myisic.com for more information.
• Live Ticket: An individual ticket that must be purchased at the time of booking and is not part of the group space. Pricing on a live ticket is subject to change until paid in full.
• Passenger Details: Per TSA regulations, passengers are required to submit their first, middle and last name as well date of birth and gender as they appear on their passports. Insufficient information can jeopardize passenger's travels.
• Passports, Visas, and other travel documents:
STA Travel is unable to advise on entry and exit requirements such as visas or exit fees. It is the responsibility of the passenger to ensure that they have all necessary documentation to enter/exit each country on their itinerary. We suggest visiting www.travel.state.gov for entry/exit requirements for Americans. You may also contact the local embassy or consulate of the country you are visiting or seek help from a visa-assistance agency.
• Private Contract: STA Travel has negotiated fares with several carriers on various routings. Our privately contracted fares have been made exclusive to STA Travel and include specific eligibility requirements from the passenger, including age and educational affiliation. Traveling on one of our private contracted fares requires an ISIC/ITIC/IYTC at an additional cost.
• Quote: STA Travel’s Groups and Programs team provides complimentary travel quotes. Quotes cannot be guaranteed and are subject to change until the space is confirmed with the vendor.
• Suggested Itinerary: When group space is not an option, the group coordinator can arrange alternative flight options for the group, which we refer to as a suggested itinerary. Suggested itineraries can be as specific as exact flights or as general as departure and arrival parameters. Once the flights or parameters are chosen, the program participants call STA Travel’s International Programs department and pay for their flights individually. The recommended itineraries are subject to availability and the pricing cannot be guaranteed. This option works best for groups that cannot commit to a specific number of seats or do not have enough travelers to qualify as a group.
• Tour Conductor: Free ticket(s) for group based on the carrier, routing, number of passengers and time of year. The base fare of the ticket is complementary, but the passenger is responsible for paying the taxes and fuel surcharges associated with the ticket.