Sign up to our newsletter and get the latest deals!

China's visa requirements

Old Chinese man
Tourist visa
US citizens need a visa to visit mainland China (but not Hong Kong), and this must be obtained prior to arrival from your local embassy.  Once in China you need to register where you’re staying within the first 24 hours.  If you’re staying at a hotel this is done on your behalf when you check in.
If you’re intending to stay longer than 6 months you’re required to produce a health certificate that includes a blood test for HIV. If you’re traveling to Hong Kong from mainland China you’ll need a double or multiple entry visa to gain re-entry to the mainland.

Working visa
To apply for a work permit in China, you must go to your local Chinese Embassy or Consulate. The visa officer may ask the applicant to provide the original and photocopy of their US Green Card,Work Permit, I-20 Form, valid US Visa or other additional documents. There are also plenty of opportunities to volunteer in China.  Do your bit for Panda Conservation, teach English, or aid the community by lending a much-appreciated hand to local projects. Click here for more information 

*The Small Print
We’ve tried to make this destination guide as accurate as possible but please double check the essentials like visas, health and safety, airport information etc with the relevant authorities before you travel.  STA Travel takes no responsibility for loss, injury or inconvenience caused as a result of this guide.  All prices listed are in the currency of the destination, unless otherwise stated.

Like it? Share it. . .

  • Twitter
  • Share on Google+ G+
  • Instagram Instagram