Sign up to our newsletter and get the latest deals!


There are probably loads of questions spinning around in your head and we want to be able to help you out a little. From costs to routes, working to sleeping, we've pulled together some great advice and answers for you.

What documentation do I need to carry?

  • Apply for a new passport or renew your expired passport at least two months prior to your departure. That gives you plenty of time to actually receive it. Also, apply early for any visas. Ask your STA Travel advisor about which destinations require a visa.
  • You'll need traveler’s checks, ATM or credit cards, ID, and your itinerary. You'll want to keep a photocopy of everything and leave a photocopy with family in case anything is lost or stolen. 
  • Other things to bring: Hosteling International card, travel insurance forms, and an International Student ID Card (ISIC). 

How much will it cost?

This one is the million-dollar question. There are some great little deals available because the price of your ticket is always based on the date you leave the U.S., not on the dates you travel thereafter. For instance – if you look at April, the price drops dramatically mid-month (and this is the case for other months also). So if you are flexible, ask us how we can cut the cost for you.

How long should I stay away for?

You may go away having set dates in your mind – but you can bet your bottom dollar that you won’t stick to them. Plans change, you meet people, you love one place and hate the next. The good thing about STA Travel tickets is that they allow you to change your mind as you travel.

Many of our 'Round the World tickets are valid for a year, are refundable and allow date changes. Visit our Travel Help section to get the low down on the different tickets available.

Is it easy to get work?

The first thing to do is ensure that you have the necessary visas that allow you to work in certain countries. Oz and NZ are the two most popular (and probably the easiest) places to work legally, and they are often the mid-point on your 'Round the World trip. Check out our Work & Learn and Gap Year sections where you’ll find out more about the hundreds of options available to you while you travel.

What should I take with me?

Don't pack what you don't need, there is nothing worse than lugging around a pile of bricks on your back when arriving in a new city and trying to find a place to stay.

Can I Charge My Electronic Devices While I'm Away?

Get an electrical converter if you're heading off to countries other than North America.

How much money should I carry?

Carry just enough money to cover your expenses. Call your bank and let them know you which foreign country you will be using your ATM card. Otherwise, the bank's theft prevention service may cancel the card thinking it's been stolen. To determine which ATM to use, just match the logos on the back of your card to the logos posted on the machine - like Cirrus. Also, carry traveler's checks in the event you don't have enough local currency to buy something and you can't use your ATM card. Not all businesses are equipped to take them.

How can I avoid Airsickness and Jetleg?

Flying internationally causes jetlag because you're crossing three time zones. Some precautions to take include:

a) drink plenty of water and no alcohol;
b) stick with a bland diet;
c) set your watch to your destination's time so, when you arrive, you can get into a normal sleeping schedule as soon as possible;
d) take some sleeping pills on the long flight over (sleep is golden and you'll be thankful for it when you arrive)

How can I fit in when I'm traveling?

When traveling in some countries, it is best to leave your jewellery at home - the richer you look, the more of a target you'll become for pick-pocketers. Also, consider that most students overseas don't wear huge sweatshirts boasting their university's name. And, clothing boasting the brand name can equate to a bulls-eye on your back. You also might want to take one 'nice' outfit in your backpack to blend in during a night out - shorts and hiking boots in cities such as Venice will make you stand out like a sore-thumb.

What about Local Customs and Culture?

Some countries, especially in the Middle East and Asia, dress more conservatively than we do. You shouldn't wear shorts or sleveless tops in these places, so ensure you have some other forms of clothing packed in your bag. It is also handy to have a long-sleeved top packed in your daypack - places like St Peters Cathedral in Rome require you to cover your arms when entering the building. You don't want to miss out on the opportunity to see such fabulous places just because you don't have the right top with you!

Like it? Share it. . .

  • Twitter
  • Share on Google+ G+
  • Instagram Instagram