Go Green - European Train Travel
Trains - Economical and Environmentally Friendly
Eurail and Eurostar are proactive in reducing their CO2 emissions to do their part to protect the environment.
Traveling by train is not only fun and affordable, but it helps you do your part for going "Green"!
Eurostar - London, Paris, Brussels
Eurostar is based in London and provides the fastest service to Paris and Brussels without flying! You're supposed to be at the airport 2 hours before a flight right? pshh.
- London - Paris in 2 hours and 15 minutes
- London - Brussels in 1 hour and 51 minutes
Why wait when you can take the train? Besides, Eurostar works with a variety of national train services to get you to the smallest towns and other big cities.
With all of that traveling around, Eurostar has become dedicated to reducing its impact on the environment with the goal of reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 25% per 'traveler journey' by 2012:
- reduce paper waste with e-tickets and bar code ticketing (bar code sent to your cell phone)
- when paper is necessary, use from sustainable forests or recycled paper
- recycle all on-board waste
- ensure all waste materials are bio-degradable or fully recyclable
- replace A/C refrigerants with less harmful chemical and replace by 2008 (7 years before EU deadline)
- use local sources, including organic suppliers, for on-board food
- energy efficient lighting, heating and mechanical plant at stations, depots and offices
Eurostar is also constantly working to develop additional ways to achieve a reduction in carbon emissions.
Eurail - Service across the continent!
Along with instituting its own efforts toward reducing its effect on the environment, Eurail reaffirms that rail is the "Green" alternative to planes and cars:
- Trains emit less than 11 pounds of CO2 compared to planes (50 pounds) and cars (about 40 pounds) per 62 passenger miles.
- Trains leave city centers and arrive at city centers, decreasing the amount of land traveled compared to most major road systems.
(Infomation provided by Eurail.)
You can book your Eurail based on the country(s) you want to visit or based on how long you want to travel!
|Eurail offers a variety of train travel options to:|
|Croatia||Germany||Montenegro||Republic of Ireland||Sweden|